Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has called off its strike that was billed to start today after the meeting with the Federal Government ended on truce.
In a statement by Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Bar Festus Keyamo on his Twitter handle, labour agreed to suspend its planned strike action for two weeks after the Government agreed to suspend the new electricity tariff.
He further stated that subsidy removal which resulted in the hike of petroleum products was agreed by both parties to remain untouched, while government rolls out palliatives to Nigerian workers which details will be made known within two weeks.
A joint committee which comprises members of labour bodies and the Government was constituted which will be chaired by the Minister of State for Labour, Bar Festus Keyamo (SAN).
Other members of the joint committee include:
1. Mr Gowin Jedy-Agba (Hon. Minister of State for Power)
2. Prof. James Momoh( Chairman National Electricity Regulations Commission)
3. Engr. Ahmad Rufai Zakari – SA to Mr President on Infrastructure Member/Secretary
4. Dr Onoho’Omhen Ebhohimhen – Member (NLC)
5. Dr. Joe Ajaero – Member (NLC)
6. Dr. Chris Okonkwo – Member (TUC)
7. A representative of the DISCOS
The brief of the joint committee within the two weeks stipulated for its sitting will be to examine the justification for the new electricity tariff policy.