Anambra State Governor, Willie Obiano has outlined measure his government is taking to prevent the further spread of COVID-19 in the state less than 24hours after the state recorded index case for the pandemic.
In a special broadcast on Covid-19 by the governor on Saturday April 10, 2020, Gov. Obiano called for calm and assured the state that the government was winning the war against further spread. He also listed the contributions so far made by individuals and cooperate establishments in the state who have united with the state government to combat the virus.
The full text of the broadcast reads:
Ndi Anambra ekenem unu.
I want to update you on the latest developments in our efforts against Coronavirus in Anambra State.
First, I have to thank you all for complying with the directive on the Covid-19 pandemic in Anambra State. I must thank the traders in all the 63 major markets in Anambra State for heeding the directive on the closure of our markets.
I also thank the traditional rulers, leaders of the church, the PGs and other community leaders who have assisted the government in ensuring that people comply with the directives from the state. However, as it has turned out, the fight has just started!
Anambra’s 1st Covid-19 Case:
Ndi Anambra, I regret to announce that despite our proactive measures to insulate our dear state from this pandemic, we recorded the first case of Coronavirus in the state yesterday.
The index case came in from Lagos. He has been placed in one of our Protective Care Centers. At the same time, we have commenced aggressive Contact Tracing to ensure that everyone he came in contact with is brought into the net for a professional handling that will save lives.
Ndi Anambra, I urge you not to panic over this. It did not take us by surprise.
We are adequately prepared to handle the situation. We have trained enough manpower on how to handle Covid-19 cases and our Protective Care Centers are among the best in the country at the moment.
On the strength of this, I urge you to stand strong in prayer and faith. We shall flatten the curve on this case to prevent further spread of the virus.
Measures to Prevent Further Spread:
Ndi Anambra, following the recording of the first case of Coronavirus in Anambra State, it has become extremely necessary to tighten the measures we had taken earlier on the pandemic. To achieve that, we shall take the following steps –
- The restriction on movement is hereby extended by two weeks. This time, we are placing a comprehensive Lock down on Anambra State.
We shall not tolerate any movement across the state by individuals and groups. Only people on essential services are permitted to move around in the delivery of those services to the people.
Ndi Anambra are advised to stay indoors to avoid getting contaminated by this virus. The security agencies will enforce the restriction on movement this time and they have my authorization to make arrests where necessary to keep our dear state safe.
- All boundaries with neighbouring states remain closed. There will be no vehicular or human traffic across all the boundaries of Anambra State.
Only vehicles delivering essential services are permitted after a comprehensive check and authorization by security operatives at the boundaries.
- Frequent washing of hands with soap for at least 20 seconds as well as the regular use of hand sanitizers are strongly recommended.
In fact, everyone is expected to carry a hand sanitizer with him or her at any given time.
- Everyone is expected to stay indoors with their families and loved ones.
However, anyone who wishes to step outdoors for any reason at all must wear a face mask. Anyone who violates this directive stands a chance of arrest and prosecution.
- Handshaking, hugging and all other forms of physical contact are strongly discouraged. Ndi Anambra are also advised to minimize contact with door handles and hand rails and commonly used surfaces in different locations.
- A distance of 6-feet must be maintained during interaction with people.
Everyone is advised to keep a reasonable social distance when holding a conversation with someone else.
- Ndi Anambra are advised to contact the Anambra State Public Health Emergency Operation Center immediately (PHEOC) once they feel unwell.
The PHEOC numbers are 08030953771, 08145434416, 08117567363, 08058967320.
Update on Preventive Care Centers:
Our 250-bed Preventive Care Center at the NYSC Orientation Camp in Mbaukwu/Umuawulu and the 16-bed Preventive Care Centre at the General Hospital Onitsha are all up and running at the moment.
The two Surge Centers at Ekwulobia General Hospital and Umueri General Hospital that Fidelity Bank and Access Bank offered to equip are almost ready too.
So, we are prepared to give ourselves a fighting chance against this pandemic.
Gratitude to Donors:
Ndi Anambra, it gives me great joy to see that this pandemic has brought out our well known communal spirit.
I am impressed with the way our socially responsible brothers and sisters have responded to the economic hardship imposed by Coronavirus on us all by handing out relief materials and money to their neighbours.
That is one of the ways we can ensure strict compliance with the principles of social distancing and overcome this plague.
I must thank everyone who has shown compassion to his/her neighbour during this period. That is the spirit of the season. It is also the spirit of Easter!
Similarly, I must express our profound gratitude to those who have donated money and other material support to boost our efforts at the state level.
So far, we have received the following donations in cash and equipment from the following people –
* UBA Plc – N28, 500,000
* Professor Chukwuma Charles Soludo- N10M
* Ibeto Petrochemical – N10M
Prof Chukwuma Soludo – N10m
* J. I Ejison of Ejison International Ltd – N5M
* Chief Clem Nwogbo (Awka Millennium City) N5M
* Chief Daniel Chukwudozie (Dozzy Oil) N2M
* Senator Victor Umeh N2M
* His Royal Highness, Igwe Gerald Mbamalu (Igwe Ojoto) N1M
* Ezeemo Godwin Chukwunenye N500,000
* Obinna Okechukwu Nwosu N3000
* 7Com Enterprises N2000
* Chief Chidi Anyaegbu (Chisco) N10M
* Aguleri World Forum N2M
* Dr Godwin Okafor (WINCO Foam) N2M
Ozonkpu Victor Oye – N3m
* Cutix Plc, Medical equipment and supplies
Chief Barrister Hyacinth Madagwu N1m
United Anambra Youth Assembly (U-AYA) and United Anambra Women Assembly (U-AWA) N1m
* Juhel Plc, Chloroquine phosphate that can treat 2,500 patients
* Dr Ernest Obiejesi (Obijackson Group) 4000 Facial Masks and 900 Personal Protection Equipment (PPE).
* Traditional ruler of Alor, Igwe Mark Anthony Chinedu Elibe Okonkwo 50 cartons of hospital equipment comprising doctors’ gloves,face masks and shoes, and a carton of oxygen equipment.
* Other illustrious indigenes of the state that have pledged to assist the government with Personal Protection Equipment and other medical supplies are Prince Engineer Arthur Eze, Dr Cosmas Maduka, Chief Innocent Chukwuma (Innoson), Sir Emeka Offor, Emma Bishop Okonkwo (Ekulo Group) and Chief Allen Onyema (Air Peace).
Ndi Anambra we are still appealing for donations to boost our capacity to overcome Coronavirus.
We especially need ventilators and Personal Protection Equipment like gloves, goggles for the eyes, apparels and masks. Whatever support we get in this area shall be highly appreciated.
Umu nnem, now that we have the first recorded incident in Anambra State, our fight against Coronavirus has just started.
All hands must be on deck to stamp the pandemic out of our beloved state. Ndi Anambra, I have no doubt that if we work together, we shall win this race.
God bless Anambra State
God bless Nigeria